Propane Safety Tips & Important Information
Get familiar with propane best practices and other safety tips.
At Depew Energy, you aren’t just our customers, you’re our neighbors. That’s why we are committed to providing safe propane delivery and propane equipment installation, service and repairs to our Hudson Valley customers.
We want you to know more about using propane safely so you can enjoy all of the benefits of propane without worry.
What should I do if I smell gas?
Because propane is highly regulated and the propane industry has strict standards, propane has a strong safety record. Regardless, you need to know how to protect yourself if you smell gas, whether it’s in your home or anywhere else around gas equipment.
These steps are critical to protecting lives and property, and must be taken as soon as you smell gas.
- Put out any sources of ignition like candles or cigarettes.
- Get out of the house IMMEDIATELY.
- Don’t use any light switches, thermostats, telephones or appliances until you are safely out of the house and away from the area where you smell gas.
- If you can get to it safely, close the gas shutoff valve on the propane tank or cylinder.
- Once you are a safe distance away, call 911 and Depew Energy.
- Give emergency personnel and qualified propane service technicians time to check for escaped propane gas and do any repairs.
- Don’t return to the area of the leak, or try to turn on the propane supply valve, even if you no longer smell gas.
- Have a trained propane service technician repair the leak, carefully inspect all gas appliances and relight all pilots.
- Wait until you have permission from emergency personnel or the service technician before going back to the area of the leak.
Want more propane safety tips? The Propane Education & Research Council (PERC) has created the informative videos below to tell you all about propane safety!
Depew Energy can be trusted with safe and reliable propane delivery and services. Get in touch with us to learn more!