Propane Water Heaters: Getting The Most Out Of It
Enjoy efficient, fast water heating!
Did you know your water heater is the second-largest user of energy in your home? Only your HVAC system uses more!
Heating water accounts for nearly 20% of your home’s energy costs on average. But we’re here to help with some tips that will help you use your propane water heater more efficiently, so you can save money, too!
Ways to save on water heating energy
- Use less hot water. We know, that sounds pretty straightforward, but, there are a lot of ways to do this without any real sacrifice in comfort. When doing laundry, avoid doing small or half-loads as much as possible, and use cold water for most loads. When taking a shower, keep the bathroom door closed to keep the bathroom warmer without having to have the water as hot. Only do full loads in the dishwasher, which uses a great deal less water and energy than washing those same dishes by hand.
- Turn down the temperature. Most water heaters come with the temperature set at 140˚ Fahrenheit. In most cases, that’s higher than it needs to be and can lead to scalding injuries, especially for children and the elderly. That high a temperature increases your energy costs because your water heater has to work harder to get and keep the water at that temperature. Reducing the temperature to between 115˚ and 120˚ can save you up to 22% on your water heater costs over the course of a year.
- Get regular water heater maintenance. Keeping your water heater running at peak efficiency means it will use less energy and cost you less. Also, it may help keep your water heater’s warranty in effect. Check out our service plans that cover parts and maintenance for water heaters, too!
- Insulate the tank. If you have a water heater with a tank, the water in there loses heat as it sits there unused. That’s called standing heat loss. It’s even worse in the winter season because water heaters are usually in unheated basements. Putting an insulating water heater jacket on the tank keeps the heat in the tank so your water heater doesn’t have to work as hard to keep the water hot.
- Invest in a propane tankless water heater. You’ll enjoy energy savings from day one! With a propane tankless water heater, the water’s not being heated and re-heated throughout the day when it’s not being used, as is what happens with a conventional water heater with a tank. Tankless water heaters can be up to 34% more energy-efficient than a conventional tank water heater. And there’s another great thing about tankless water heaters: endless hot water, on-demand; no wait!
Depew Energy installs energy-efficient water heaters to homes all around our Hudson Valley service area. Contact us for more information or to find out our current offers, today!